Thursday, July 12, 2012

Caprese Salad

I know I have posted about salads before, but I feel like Caprese salad didn't really fall into that category, and it often gets forgotten.

What is Caprese Salad? it is a wonderful mixture of tomato, mozzarella, basil, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. It's super simple, and this time of year when the tomatoes are fresh, it's super delicious! You can combine these ingredients in any form that you would like to make your salad to taste. I like mine with a little more tomato than cheese. It's great to use for a party too! Here are some creative ways to serve it:

Traditional:
Slice the tomato and mozzarella into disks and form a pretty pattern of them around the plate. Drizzle with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sprinkle with basil. Simple as that, and super pretty!


Appetizer Snack:
Use cherry tomatoes and small mozzarella balls for this one. Cut the tops off of the cherry tomatoes and hollow them out. Stick them on the tops of the skewers. Roll the mozzarella balls in vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and stick on top of the tomato. Sprinkle with shredded basil.


Salad Bowl:
I couldn't for the life of me find the picture that I had of this one, so this version will be without a pic. Use beefsteak tomatoes for this one. Cut the top off of the tomato and hollow it out to make a bowl. Fill your tomato bowl with mini mozzarella balls. Drizzle with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with shreds of basil. Enjoy!

I have tried all three of these and they are all fantastic! They are great at parties! Your guests will be so impressed with your creativity of making these different versions of the salad. Please let me know if you try one of these! I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment